More on Book Covers
- Spine Magazine covers creative and production aspects of the book publishing industry with a primary focus on the author’s process and book cover design
- Black n Brown Book Designers is an amazing resource “created by and for underrepresented designers of color”
- The Book Cover Archive, the OG
- Designer David Fassett made this great video documenting his process of creating a book cover from start to finish.
- It’s already been viewed 2.6 million times, but in case you missed it: Chip Kidd’s TED Talk
- The Casual Optimist is a blog maintained by Dan Wagstaff, a book enthusiast and book marketing manager based in Toronto.
- The Book Cover Review is a brand-new site from David Pearson. “The site features 500ish-word reviews of beloved book covers from a range of great voices.”
- CoverJunkie: “A celebration of creative [magazine] covers & their ace designers.”
Articles About Cover Design
- September 2023: Top 10 list plus an INABC shoutout
- May 2023: Dave Eggers’ bamboo hardcovers
- July 2020: Faber’s 90th Anniversary Series, plus the backstory from Faber Art Department
- March 2020: 20 cover iterations of The Plague
- June 2007: Helen Yentus, Designer Profile
- August 2023: Pablo Delcan and Jamie Keenan Discuss the Evolution of Their Designs for the Same Book
- May 2022: Author Peter C. Baker in conversation with cover designer Linda Huang about Planes
- May 2022 Author Jeff VanderMeer in conversation with cover designers Alex Merto and Tyler Comrie
- January 2022: 59 Years of covers for The Bell Jar
- December 2021: Every New Directions cover for Clarice Lispector
- December 2020: Who wore it better? US versus UK covers
- July 2018: Charlotte Strick on designing the Rachel Cusk trilogy
- May 2018: Celebrating The Art of The Book Cover
AIGA Eye on Design
- July 2022: A roundtable discussion on publishing in the age of Bookstagram
- February 2022: Why Do Some Authors’ Books Get a Branded Look?
- November 2021: Holly Ovenden profile
- September 2021: Book Branding
- July 2019: Jo Walker profile
- June 2018: Helen Yentus, When The Struggle is Part of The Process
It’s Nice That
- September 2022: Special Canadian series featuring a range of artists
- August 2022: Five Studios to watch
- April 2022: Alex Merto profile
- October 2021: Tom Etherington’s Penguin series
- Cover Meeting: A Podcast started by Steve Leard in 2023
- Spine Magazine Podcast offers 3 seasons of interviews with amazing cover designers
- Design Matters: Debbie Millman’s podcast on design. Featured interviews: Chip Kidd (2013), Peter Mendelsund (2011)
- Thoughts from a Page – Interview with Christopher Lin
- Unknown Origins – Interview with Paul Buckley
Books About Cover Design
- The Look of the Book by Peter Mendelsund. Read an excerpt here.
- Cover by Peter Mendelsund. Read an excerpt here.
- Penguin 75 by Paul Buckley
- Classic Penguin by Paul Buckley
- Penguin by Design: A Cover Story 1935-2005
- Lolita: The Story of a Cover Girl, featuring cover designs by eighty renowned graphic designers and illustrators.
- No No No No Yes, a record of killed covers